2. Postulate a catalytic mechanism for catalyst A. To accomplish this task, it may be useful to try to view individual events and answer individual questions with the simulation module, such as:
- a. How does CO adsorb? Molecularly or dissociatively? Can you visualize the adsorption event? Describe it in words.
- b. How does O2 adsorb? Molecularly or dissociatively? Can you visualize the adsorption event? Describe it in words.
- c. Can you visualize the surface reaction happening? (You may need to slow down the simulation delay to “see” this happen.) Describe it in words.
- d. Show, by way of derivation, how this mechanism leads to the same rate law equation, with the same concentration dependence, as in problems #1. Be sure to state all assumptions that you make during your derivation.
- e. Compare your catalytic mechanistic model to the simulation data you collected for one case (one set of reactant concentrations) of CO oxidation on catalyst A at 600 K. Regress and compare parameters (kinetic, thermodynamic) as part of your comparison.